Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Elizabeth's Peanut Butter Bonbons

2 cups crunchy peanut butter
1 lb. powdered sugar
1 stick soft butter
2 cups Rice Krispies
8 oz. plain Hershey bars
6 oz. milk chocolate chips
1/3 block paraffin

Directions:
Measure peanut butter, powdered sugar and butter into a large bowl and cream together. Add Rice Krispies. Melt chocolate and paraffin in double boiler. Form peanut butter mixture into balls the size of egg yolks. Dip in chocolate mixture. Makes 50-60 candies.

Notes:
This recipe was given to me by my mother-in-law, Elizabeth Netz. When we visited one Christmas many years ago, I sat at her kitchen table and copied several of her candy recipes.

I made these bonbons this Christmas, and I decided that next time I make them, I will try using graham cracker crumbs instead of Rice Krispies. In my opinion, the Rice Krispies turned tough (not crunchy at all) when the candy was a few days old.

Another great Easy Recipe

Love At Home

There is beauty all around
When there's love at home.
There is joy in every sound
When there's love at home.

Roses bloom beneath our feet,
All the earth is a garden sweet,
Making life a bliss complete,
When there's love at home.

-- John Hugh McNaughton (1829-1891)